About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
The Dentist's Fish
A Difficult Question
Happy Blog Day!
Stepford Wives
Squeeze Me
Something Fishy
Guilty Pleasure
Five Things Before I Die
A Cautionary Tale
In Praise of Older Women

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Thursday, September 07, 2006
Chicken with Okra
My wife D asked me the other day to buy four chicken marylands for some soup she was making. I was off to the market where there are several poultry shops and saw some lovely corn fed marylands in one of the counters. They are a lot more expensive than regular chicken and for what D wanted, unnecessary. At the next chicken shop, they had a tray of marylands which were quite large, two would have been enough, but if I was wrong I would have caught it, so purchased four of them, better too much than too little. When I got home D said that two would have been enough and so the excess marylands were consigned to the fridge.

A couple of days later, I was home early from work and D looked at me and said, "You can cook dinner," as she had other things she was doing, like the washing. "Fair trade," I thought silently to myself. We had decided this week not to buy any meat as the freezer was groaning full, but there was nothing defrosted to cook, so a quick look in the fridge revealed the marylands, but how to have them? On another shelf was some okra, one of my favourite vegetables.

I came to know and love okra in my first marriage. They were not readily available fresh at that time and we purchased them dried from specialty stores, they were also available tinned, and had the rather charming name of ladies fingers. We cooked often with them and the ones we preferred to use were very small, which were considered the best. The flavour is not dissimilar to green capsicum, but one of the properties of okra, which was not so apparent in the dried version, is it's ability to thicken a sauce via a mucilaginous liquid* stored in the pod, which is the unripe seed pod of a plant that we use as a vegetable. This clear, gooey and sticky liquid has enough thickening power to make flour unnecessary as a thickening agent.

Chicken with Okra

2 large chicken marylands
4 tablespoons oil
2 onions, diced
2 carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small chile, finely diced
1 800 g (2 lb) tin crushed tomatoes
200 g (1/2 lb) okra
200 g (1/2 lb) cauliflower
salt & fresh ground pepper

separate the marylands into thighs and drumsticks, if you like you can cut them into smaller pieces and brown them in the oil. Remove and brown the onions and carrots, then add the garlic, chile, crushed tomatoes and the browned chicken pieces, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the stem from the okra and cut into short pieces, cut the cauliflower into small florets and add the okra and cauliflower to the pot and season. Continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the sauce thickened. Serve with plain rice.

* I wanted to say this liquid looks like clear snot, but that would never do in a cooking blog, would it?
 
  posted at 7:45 am
  10 comments



10 Comments:
At 9:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, god Neil, but it does. Look like clear snot! I wish you could hear me laughing!! Too funny. I love okra. I need to do that, I think they are really fresh in the markets now. Learned from my daddy.
So, I guess I'll have to google the marylands. Like all the veggies in there.

 
At 11:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love okra, too! Unfortunately, it's quite hard to get hold of here. Usually only in tins, but I don't like that as much as the fresh variety.

 
At 2:40 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi tanna, sometimes I'm so happy I don't have an editor! Marylands are what we call the thigh & drumstick still joined together. If you wanted you could use cubed dark meat as well, but I think breast meat would be wasted in this.

Hi honeybee, in the eighties here it was so hard to get fresh, so I know how you feel. Try asian grocers.

Hi pentacular, yeah, we had that a few times, only A called it bamia. Knowing those girls I'm surprised they hadn't though of that use for the snot!

Hi paz, yeah, I tossed up about the snot a few times, but thought what the heck and in it went. It's interesting about the African connection, when I made it, I put in a teaspoon of oregano, which changed it from what seemed like an African identity to a more Greek one, but preferred it before the herb went in.

 
At 5:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you saying we're twenty years behind you guys? ;-) Good tip, I'll try some of the asian shops.

 
At 9:00 am, Blogger Gigi said...

You know who wouldn't have any trouble saying the liquid 'looked like clear snot?' Why, Chef Gordon Ramsey, that's who! And he'd yell it, and then spit on the floor... ;D

 
At 3:27 pm, Blogger Gillian said...

I've just finished doing a MEME on 5 things to eat before you die. I've had my list ready for a long time. But this post made me think of a new MEME. 5 things you have never eaten and are not sure that you ever will and why.
I'm no good at the technology of this and dont even know what MEME stands for! but please will someone start one cos I'm on to my list already.
Guess what's on it!!!
Cheers Gillian

 
At 3:52 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi honeybee, not at all, I think we are just a bit closer to parts of Asia. No problem, this is a full service blog!

Hi gigi, he's a terror isn't he? I have no trouble believing he would too!

Hi gillian, that list of yours could get pretty nasty!

 
At 2:02 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I love it when folks get together and share opinions. Great site, stick with it
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/insulating-companies-3.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/insulating-companies-2.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/insulating-companies.html

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger rehabgad1 said...


Good write-up. I definitely love this site. Keep it up
https://kidblog.org/class/prokr1119/posts
http://prokr123.wallinside.com/
http://prokr123.zohosites.com/
http://3arbia.info/
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

 
At 9:20 pm, Blogger بروكر said...


I definitely love this site.
https://lamissibrahim11.wixsite.com/prokr2020
https://prokr2020.hatenablog.com/
https://www.docdroid.net/TtGIByy/shrkat-nkl-athath-oaafsh-balryad.docx
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter