About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Cherry, Cherry
Love Me, Love Me Not
Look Mum, A New Header
My New Digs
Something From Nothing
Weekend Herb Blogging
What's In A Name?
In A Bad Place
Marinara Sauce
Pantry Moth Allsorts

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Monday, November 20, 2006
The Polish Festival
There is something slightly ironic about a Japanese tourist placing himself for a photo in front of a stage full of people in Polish national costume in Federation Square, Melbourne , Australia. Not that he seemed to notice, though he did get a cut price Polish experience as Federation Square hosted the Polish Festival.

Of course with my wife D being Polish, we were always going and arrived early on a glorious Spring day, warm sunshine and hardly a breath of wind. There were thirty or so stalls of Polish produce set out on different levels and a main stage where Polish dance and music was performed as well as a big screen that was detailing the Polish contribution to Victoria.

Some of the stalls had amazing things for sale such as the amber jewellery stall. This amazing gemstone is actually the fossilized resin of ancient conifers that existed mostly 30 to 50 million years ago and is found in Poland in the Baltic Sea. After its collection the resin is cut and polished to a reveal its warm amber colour and is then set into jewellery.

Another couple of stalls featured hand painted, glass, Christmas tree baubles of the most beautiful and striking designs. Several other stalls had merchandise for the homesick but the real action as far as I was concerned was happening on the lower level where all the food stalls were. It was here that I made acquaintance with a kielbasa the polish word for sausage in the form of a kranski in a roll. This one sausage made me feel as if I had never had a sausage before. It was made from pork and a little garlic then lightly smoked. In the Polish way it was gently simmered rather than fried which seemed to increase its natural sweetness. It was so good that I found out the name of the supplier, Barkly Smokehouse, rear 191 Barkly Street, Footscray. They aren't retail but if you ask for Nick, tell him I sent you. He told me that the kranskies come in packs of eight. You also need to ask him for the kranski from the Polish Festival as they do a couple of different types.

We didn't get to try the potato pancakes as a huge line had formed for them which was no surprise, they are very tasty but are a lot of work to grate finely, much better some else making them. A few cake shops were there so we had the obligatory paczki or doughnut as well as some lighter than air cheesecake. There was a separate, fenced off beer stall where I shared a glass of Zywiec, a great tasting beer.

Wandering around we were accosted by a reporter from Polish radio. My wife declined to speak instead pointing the reporter at me, so I did a short interview. I wanted to say how good the beer was using a earthy saying a mate of mine uses, involving angels and bodily fluids, but I couldn't clean it up in time! What I could have said was that it felt like an angel had kissed my lips, a far cry from what my mate says.

We ran into a friend of mine, not from Poland but from Romania. He was having a great time looking around with some Polish friends of his. It was that kind of a thing, Polish people are very friendly and inviting, there seemed to be people from all over in attendance. All in all we stayed for about two hours, which seemed just enough. We'll be back next year a bit early for one of those potato pancakes.

Edited to add: I've just found out the kranskies referred to are called Kitchen kranski and are $7.50 kg. The entrance to the factory is down a sidestreet and in a small carpark behind Barkly Street. It's a little seedy but that's the price you pay for a great sausage.
 
  posted at 8:51 am
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 10:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have been right there with you in the lower stalls. Sounds like a foodie's dream. I think I might have stood in line for the potato pancakes or made a deal to pay for the 3rd person standing in line if they ordered some for me. Would that be illegal?

 
At 2:43 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi tanna, it's not illegal if you don't get caught!

 
At 8:57 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi helen, me too! I was so laughing at the tourist, yeah utterly predictable.

 
At 10:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Neil, I would have loved to have gone to the festival - is there a website or somewhere where I can check up on dates for these Polish events you always seem to find?

 
At 10:18 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi ange, I suppose it helps that D is Polish, we are kind of in the network. Sorry that I didn't post a heads up, I should've. The website for the festival is at www.polishfestival.com

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger Jeanne said...

Kielbasa is one of the things I have been meaning to try for ages. A friend of mine's partner is Polish and she took us to a Polish restaurant in Hampstead last year (now sadly closed) where we had heavenly golumpki and the best borscht I had ever tasted. I really must try to find another Polish restaurant here in London - with the much-discussed influx of Poles, surely it can only be a matter of time before there are kielbasa carts on every corner? ;-)

 
At 10:46 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi jeanne, as you say, Polish food can be really great, borscht or barszcz is really tricky to get just right, but when it is right it is one of the kings of soup.

 
At 1:32 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi scott, I have the exact same love of all things Polish as you. It's always fascinating to see other cultures at work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter