About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
The Look
Zapraszamy Do Zabawy!
Short & Long History of Molecular Gastronomy
Heston Blumenthal - In Search of Perfection
always with me
Wine Country & A Barbeque
Al, We Need You
Pretty Shortcut
'Til Death Do Us Part
The Heart of the Matter

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Panko Crumbs
I was in a new, to me, supermarket and was perusing the aisles when I came upon their Asian section. It was a much larger store than my regular one, so it contained an expanded version of the couple of poky shelves that I was used to. There were so many things there that I had completely no idea of what they were, save if there was a picture to help, but there on one shelf was a packet of Japanese panko crumbs.

Now I'd heard of these. Rick Stein talked about them in one of his shows and in his inimitable way said to get on to them, a piece of information that was triggered from the dark recesses of my brain when I saw the packet. So I bought them, took them home and put them in the pantry and promptly forgot about them.

The other day, my wife felt like some fish, so she pulled out three King George whiting from the freezer and told me that I was cooking dinner. Not so fast!

"I'll do the fish, if you do the salad."

That was acceptable, so I got to filleting the fish. Then I started thinking that with just fish and salad, it was going to be a fairly light dinner, which sometimes is okay, but I felt like just a bit more. Maybe if I crumbed the fillets. I'm not really crazy about breadcrumbs on fish, they seem to take away from their delicacy, then I remembered the panko crumbs sitting forlornly in the pantry. Okay, let's see if Rick is right.

The first thing that was apparent was the texture of the panko. Regular breadcrumbs are like coarse sand, but panko crumbs are more like flakes, very light and airy. It seems that when they are made, rather than being pulverised like ordinary breadcrumbs, the white bread they are made from is shredded into small flakes, then baked in a low oven till dried out but not browned. This is what gives them their lightness along with exceptional crunch. They are then attached to the food in the usual egg and breadcrumb way.

There are times, not often mind, when I kick myself for not trying something I've heard about sooner, all the more galling if it's been sitting in the pantry waiting for me to wake up to myself. I need to kick myself pretty hard for this one. Panko crumbs on the fish was a revelation; they took nothing away from the fish but added some wonderful, light crunch and just enough extra weight to make it the perfect sized dinner.

I'd been pankorised!

Noting the prawns with panko crumbs on the packet's cover, half a kilo of prawns was the next to get the treatment, again with the same delicious results, so now I'm about to go completely overboard in trying to find the best foods to go with these wonderful crumbs, but for sure, seafood and panko has a natural affinity.

As Rick said, get on to them.
 
  posted at 7:13 am
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 6:31 pm, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You are so fun Neil! Pankorised! Well, yes it seems you have been.
I had the same experience when I tried these, revelation for sure.
I do love crunch! and panko packs it.

 
At 4:31 am, Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Pankorised! What a great word. Well, whatever you call it, welcome to the wonderful world of panko. It's now the only kind of bread crumb I use.

 
At 11:49 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi tanna, the word just popped right in there and seemed so right. I just want to coat everything with them.

Hi lydia, I was discussing crumbs with my wife (really!). The Polish have a breadcrumb treatment known as Polonaise topping, where they brown breadcrumbs in butter and put them on top of cooked vegetables usually, cauliflower being a particular favourite. She is of the opinion that panko wouldn't be quite as good, as they seem to have less flavour. Guess we'll have to try it out.

 
At 11:05 pm, Blogger Jeanne said...

Hmmm, I'm still a Panko virgin but I've only heard good things. Like you, I'm not generally a fan of crumbing things but your descriptions sure are persuasive ;-)

 
At 10:17 pm, Blogger Vida said...

Hey Neil, gotta love the panko! My mother always used semolina to coat the fish, this too gives great crunch (though quite different) and my italian friend insists on nothing but stale Pasta Dura bread for her snitzel... creatures of habit... Vida x

 
At 12:26 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi jeanne, you'll thank me, maybe not the hips though!

Hi vida, two more great toppings to check out! My usual thing with fish is to flour them, but sometimes, change is as good as a holiday.

 
At 12:22 am, Blogger Almost Vegetarian said...

I adore Panko crumbs. So much so, in fact, they I pretty much use them all the time. And what a difference they make. Last weekend, I made eggplant parmesian, and it turned out so well that I made it again last weekend, by request.

And that's something every cook wants to hear!

Cheers

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger neil said...

Hi almost vegetarian, dead right there! We are still to try them as a polonaise topping, though there was a near miss the other day; soon though, soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter