About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Prince Wine Store - Donor MFH
Cherry Vodka
Menu For Hope 4
A New Contender
Bargain Polish Porcini
Roast Chicken
The Godfather
Dangerous Liaisons
Perfection, Fooled You
Mexican Rice Salad

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Friday, December 14, 2007
The Takeaway
Ever had a long wait for takeaway?

There is a local Chinese takeaway where we have been going for a few years off and on, actually until the other week, it was more off than on, for no particular reason, though things might be a bit easier if they took cards. Anyway, I placed an order for three dishes and sat down to wait. A few people came to the shop and placed their orders. And I waited. One guy placed his order and went over to the table where they kept toothpicks.

You know how it is when you start watching someone doing something a little offbeat...you know you shouldn't be looking, but curiosity compels you. This guy, who was a little unkempt, long greasy hair, unshaved, picked up the toothpick container, unscrewed the top and shook out a quantity straight into his hand. Maybe he felt someone watching him, or had a quick pang of guilt, he then put a few back, straight from his dirty hand and pocketed the rest. Hmm, no more public toothpicks for me.

Perhaps he had been spotted by the kitchen and anxious to preserve what was left of their soiled toothpicks, had hurried his order through, before mine. Well, that illusion was shattered shortly after, when another two people who had arrived after me received their orders. I must have had quite a look on my face, as the waitress mumbled something about my crispy skin chicken slowing things down. Even then, after they had served three other people, it still took another quarter hour before my order was filled, they knew it was a lot longer wait for me than it should have been, apologised, and gave me a free bottle of soft drink.

I'm not one to hold a grudge, especially if the food is good and it really was. Last Wednesday, we had been to M's school concert and the girls went off to her dancing class after that and we were too fagged to cook. The Chinese shop deserved another chance and there were some menu items I wanted to try, so back unto the breach I went. There were a couple of people already there, I placed my order and sat down to wait.

At one of the tables, there was a young couple, at least I think they were a couple, it was hard to tell from the conversation, because there wasn't any. It became obvious that the young girl couldn't speak and all her talk was in gestures, not the proper signing ones that you see from time to time, but gestures that tried to convey her words to someone who didn't know sign language. The young guy had a spiral notebook and was writing things down, then he would spin the book towards her and she would either nod or shake her head. There was definitely something up with her bag and she kept lifting it up and giving it a sniff then proffered the handbag to him and he seemed to nod in agreement.

I didn't get to find out much more as my order came out...before anyone else already in the shop. Perhaps I passed some sort of a test last time and now have the right to some sort of precedence, I certainly had the right to a large, free bag of prawn crackers.

Back at home, I laid the feast upon the table and we tucked in. M has gone off rice, so I bought a noodle dish with chicken and broccoli for her. One of the dishes I bought for myself and D was sweet and sour prawns. Now prawns are one thing that M turns her nose up at with a loud "eeewwww". That's quite okay by me, plenty of time for her to learn to enjoy their delights. Or so I thought. M saw me take a couple of prawns from the takeaway container and asked for it, inside were about ten or so prawns, cloaked inside a batter case, so she couldn't see the prawness that was staring her right in the face; she pulled one out and put it in her mouth, gave a chew, then expressed her approval by taking most of the prawns and putting them on her plate.

I think I've been cheated, my other daughter, P, was thirteen or so before she took a liking to that sort of thing. There will be a fight back though, a stockpile of chile should do the trick, as in chilli prawns, it will be years before she comes at that. I'm not a bad dad really, just hungry.
 
  posted at 8:05 am
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 11:12 am, Blogger Jeanne said...

Your takeaway sounds more like a scene from a Tarantino movie than a simple takeaway meal!! One of the takeaways near us (Nando's actually) also has excellent food but frustratingly awful service. Drives us nuts because every time we go we swear we won't be back but then the lure of the food is too strong!

 
At 11:44 pm, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Well, at least your a fun dad!
Got to love the dirty hand tooth pick story! Thing is it's all that exposure to those non-lethal organisms that keep your immune system stimulated and ready to handle the world. Sorry to be so serious, but that's really true. But I don't go around intentionally using tooth picks to keep me healthy!

 
At 10:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I'm glad that M took to the prawns so well, though alas, it left you on the hungry side of the fence :P If she hasn't been weaned onto chilli, then that should definitely help even things up a bit :D

Ellie @ Kitchen Wench

 
At 2:46 am, Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've had the same feeling at take-out places, that everyone else understands the system, or is a "regular" and I'm not. But then, when you graduate to the "regular" status, it's so satisfying. Weird, eh?

 
At 3:13 am, Blogger Katie Zeller said...

There's a fine line between being pleased that tastes are expandng and disappointment at having to start sharing...
I haven't decided which side to fall into...

 
At 12:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I know your dastardly plan to keep your prawns to yourself by sabotaging them with Chile, now you know i do not really enjoy chile... I will eat them just to spite you!
-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter