About Me
I'm a Melbourne boy, hailing from St Kilda with one ex, one current wife and four kids. Love the outdoors and making new discoveries. I cook a lot at home (cheers from wife) and do some preserving, mostly jams, pickles and fruit liqueurs. This is the diary of a cooking journey.

My Complete Profile

Recent Posts
Carpetbagger Steak
Hot Sauce & Fiery Foods Festival
Technical Difficulties
An Australian Day
Careful What You Ask For
Rice-o-holic
Gravlax
Prizes!
Phew - Christmas
Menu For Hope 4

Links
1001 Dinners 1001 Nights
A Few of My Favourite Things
Abstract Gourmet
Apellation Australia
Becks and Posh
BurgerMary ATX
Cook (almost) Anything at least once
Cooking Down Under
Cook sister!
Cooked And Bottled In Brunswick
David Lebovitz
Deep Dish Dreams
Chef Paz
Chubby Hubby
Eating Melbourne
Eating With Jack
essjay eats
Food Lover's Journey
Gosstronomy
Grab Your Fork
I Am Obsessed With Food
I Eat Therefore I Am
Iron Chef Shellie
Just Desserts
Kalyn's Kitchen
Kitchen Wench
Lobstersquad
Matt Bites
Melbourne Gastronome
My Kitchen in Half Cups
Nola Cuisine
Not Quite Nigella
Nourish Me
Seriously Good
Souvlaki For The Soul
Stone Soup
Sunnybrae
Syrup and Tang
Steve Don't Eat It!
That Jess Ho
The Elegant Sufficiency
The Perfect Pantry
The View From My Porch
Thyme for Cooking
Tomato
Tumeric & Saffron
tummy rumbles
What I Cooked Last Night
where's the beef
WhiteTrashBBQ
Vicious Ange

Food Blog Resources
Food Blog S'cool
I Eat I Drink I Work
Kiplog Food Links

Food for Thought
Autism Victoria
Autism Vox
forget me now
Lotus Martinis
MOM - Not Otherwise Specified
St Kilda Today

Monday, February 11, 2008
Zucchini & Pumpkin Salad


A few weeks ago, my blogging friend Tanna, did a whole series of recipes that featured pumpkin and very good they looked to. The only trouble was, at the time, we were having a few days over 40c, more than 100f, and pumpkin was probably the last thing anyone here wanted. That's the trouble with blogging across hemispheres at the height of winter/summer, so I just bookmark the recipes that sound great, to try when the weather is more appropriate.

Those of you that know Tanna realize she is a great cook and comes up with wonderful recipes and variations thereof. So when one sounds just like the thing you would want to try, but the weather is against you, it's like exquisite torture. So I got to thinking, what can you do with a pumpkin when the weather is hot? The question rattled around my mind for a while until the moment I was reading an Anne Willan cookbook and turned the page to a zucchini and yellow squash salad.

Isn't a pumpkin just a big squash?

Well, yes it is. It would also look great matched with the white of the zucchini shreds. The recipe looked and sounded great just as it was, but a small variation was in order, out with the yellow squash and in with the pumpkin. But then there was a small matter of fear, two fears in fact. I've never seen pumpkin served raw, was it safe? A quick google didn't reveal any issues, so then it was on to face my primary fear, using a mandolin to produce the neat little matchsticks. The blade that makes the sticks is a weapon of terror, but the thing is, it does its work in seconds, producing shapes that would take an age with a knife. Everything went well though, all my fingers are still there.




Looks great and tasted lovely, a bright, fresh salad with just a hint of pumpkin flavour. Next time I might blitz some toasted pumpkin seeds into the recipe for a little texture. I think Kalyn might like this, so it can be my entry to Weekend Herb Blogging, this week hosted by Ulrike from Kuchenlatein.

Zucchini & Pumpkin Salad
(adapted fron Anne Willan)

2 medium zucchini, topped and tailed
same quantity pumpkin, skinned - I used butternut
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/2 bunch dill, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons vegetable or other neutral oil
salt & fresh ground pepper

On a mandoline, shred the zucchini and pumpkin into short matchsticks, place them in a bowl. Add the shallots and dill, then make a dressing with the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper and mix into the salad. You can serve it straight way, but it does benefit from sitting for an hour as the vegetables soften slightly.
 
  posted at 7:41 am
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 10:59 am, Blogger Bron said...

Gosh this looks good Neil! What an interesting combination too, and I definitely needed more inspiration for the zucchini growing rampant!
Cheers!

 
At 12:41 pm, Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I love this dish that brings together winter and summer squash. Makes it perfect for everyone, no matter which hemisphere you're in! Also I love any excuse to use my mandoline.

 
At 1:06 pm, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

That's so funny, I had clicked through already to say how good this looked before I saw my name saying you think I might like it. I do! The photos are gorgeous and it sounds so fresh and delicious.

(And I do agree, Tanna is a great cook. Someday I'm going to show up at her house and she'll have to feed me. I think I could drive there in about two days from here!)

 
At 12:18 am, Blogger ostwestwind said...

Thank you, your WHB submission arrived just in time, unfortunately in my spam-folder. But now it's added to the recap.

Your salad looks gorgeous and appetizing.

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

 
At 9:56 am, Blogger stickyfingers said...

Now that brings back memories, my Hungarian Aunty Susi used to make it without the pumpkin, just zucchini, and would have the mandoline set to shred really fine. In her version you add lashings of sour cream and tons of dill to it. Hmm now I have a craving. Think I'll put it with some salmon :)

Thought I would mention while I'm visiting today that The Purple Goddess will be hosting the next Melbourne Bloggers Banquet in April, at her holiday house in Dromana which features a wood fired oven & BBQ with wok burner. More details at her blog or you can email me from my blogs for the address etc if you prefer. Would love to see you there. Cheers!

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi bron, I think everyone needs zucchini inspiration from time to time!

Hi lydia, I didn't think of the summer/winter connection, thanks for pointing that out. I hope one day to be friends with my mandoline, but you know, if a mandoline were a business, I'm sure occupational health and safety would shut it down!

Hi kalyn, looks like Melbourne is the mandoline capital this month - I just saw Haalo's lovely jicama salad. It was funny, when I thought of this, I thought of you. I was really pleased that raw pumpkin is safe, it was worrying that there aren't too many recipes for it raw, but we are still alive!

Hi ostwestwind, glad you rescued me from the spam! Thanks for your nice words and for hosting this month.

Hi stickyfingers, with D being Polish, we have many salads with sour cream and they are all sooo tasty - your salad with salmon sounds wonderful. I haven't seen that post, but will check it out, that neck of the woods is a favourite for us.

 
At 2:33 pm, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Genius Neil in all respects! That is so perfect! And pumpkin seeds would seem an excellent texture and taste complement. I love that mandoline - it still is a thrill to pull that baby out and make me look so good so fast! It does however need to be treated with respect.
I don't understand how this post skipped my radar for a day.
Beautiful salad!!

 
At 9:47 am, Blogger neil said...

Hi tanna, I love the mandoline too, but one can't be too careful! It almost slipped under kalyn's radar too. Looks like you will have a visitor any day now.

 
At 2:02 pm, Anonymous Lisa said...

This sounds delicious! I just discovered raw pumpkin and came up with this salad adding pomegranate and raw beets. As soon as zucchini come into season again, I'm going to try your recipe! Thanks! href="http://encinomom.com/raw-pumpkin-salad/"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Recipe Categories
Soups
Salads
Vegetables
Poultry
Pork
Beef
Cakes & Desserts
Miscellaneous

Archives
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
May 2009
June 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
July 2012

Miscellaneous
AUSTRALIAN FOOD BLOGGERS
Prev ~ List ~ Random ~ Join ~ Next
Site Ring from Bravenet


Site Feed

counter easy hit

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image created by:
Ximena Maier

Powered by:


Photos, Original Recipes, and Text - (C) Copyright: 2005-2010
At My Table by Neil Murray, all rights reserved.
You may re-post a recipe, please give credit and post a link to this site.

Contact Me
Neil Murray

Follow messytable on Twitter